Saturday, August 28, 2010

To Be or Not To Be (an Elitist)

I used to think an elitist was someone who was rich – yeah, maybe they were a jerk, but I suppose in some ways they could afford to be. Good or bad, it’s an impression.

These days, elitism extends to all kinds of people who may or may not look the part. I once knew a guy, a high school teacher who lived in a very modest home (with his parents) who boasted that he was an elitist. I remember thinking how completely ridiculous he was to say that, which is I guess why I’m using the term now. By definition, the term doesn’t expressly mean someone who’s wealthy, but I did wonder what group he was overly proud of belonging to – the group of 20-somethings who lived at home mooching off Mommy and Daddy?

I like East Nashville for a lot of reasons – affordable housing, great neighbors and local businesses. I am a huge proponent of supporting our locally owned stores, which is why, when I wanted a bike last year, I decided to go to Eastside Cycles. It was a good experience – I went in knowing what I wanted, and $400 later I had a bike and helmet. Unfortunately, each subsequent time I’ve gone to make small purchases or ask questions, I get treated like an idiot. I mean, I know I’m not one of those people who rides my bike everywhere while donning reflective spandex, but dangit, I still deserve some semblance of respect. I’m thrilled they are great at what they do and are all into bicycles, but what’s with the condescending attitude? What do I have to do to get decent customer service? Things were fine and dandy when I was spending several hundred dollars. Well, they won’t have to worry about my silly questions again, as this morning was my last visit to Eastside Cycles.

My experiences at Eastside made me think of another business I’ve gone to for several years, but recently wondered exactly why I keep going there. I’ve bought several pairs of running shoes and socks at Team Nashville and I don’t think I’ve ever had even a semi-friendly salesperson. Of course, I’m pretty sure they are runners who turned their obsession into a business, but running apparel is expensive! If I’m going to drop $15 on one pair of socks, it would be nice to feel appreciated. I just don’t get it. In any case, that’s another business I’ve checked off my list.

I don’t know if these people would be examples of biking or running “elitists,” but I’m no longer willing to slap a smile on my face and open my wallet to these so-called experts. I thought the whole idea of patronizing these local businesses was to, at least in part, enjoy personalized customer service the big boxed stores cannot provide; instead I feel as if I’m opening myself up to a social hierarchy in which even my money cannot raise my status from moron.

In any case, I will continue shopping local, but refuse to shop anywhere at the expense of my dignity. Ok, that’s a bit dramatic, but Eastside can keep their bike accessories – and haughty attitude – for the next moron.

7 comments:

Susan said...

I know this is not exactly the same thing, but I get the same feeling everytime I have personal contact with an employee at my local Walmart. I recently spent $350 on a new pair of glasses. Today, when I brought them in because I was having a few issues with them, the associate, determined to prove me wrong, argued and seemed to think because I could SEE out of them, they were ok. Needless to say, I left wondering what possesses me to continue to walk in and spend my money week after week. We, as consumers, do share a responsibility for poor service by continuing to go back and give them our money. Stick to your guns, girl, and I will try to stay out of Walmart!

Lois and Jon said...

I'm with you, Susan! What happened to "the customer is always right?" I mean, I know that, as a customer, I'm not always "right" per se, but dang - don't freakin' argue with me or give me attitude. I worked in customer service for years and you need to actually provide the service part (that's not just a suggestion) and you might as well do it with a smile. For pete's sake..

Amanda Lasley said...

I know what you mean Lois - just because I don't ride on a daily basis doesn't make my money less valuable. Have you tried Nashville Bicycle Lounge, underneath Asphalt Beach (accessible by the alley)? I was really please with the owner the one time I went in there. I told him what we were prepared to spend on a bike, but after hearing what I was looking for he showed me one that cost HALF the price. Talk about a commitment to finding what works for an individual. He was also super friendly and helpful the whole time in a non-condescending way. I'd give him a shot (and he's still on the east side!).

Lois and Jon said...

Amanda, I didn't have any clue they were there - thanks for the tip!! :)

Ozzy Nelson said...

amen and amen

Anonymous said...

I can't agree with you more. I like to feel good when I spend my money. I won't even go back to a dr if I feel I'm being patronized. I do admit I don't go to the dr very often.
sister

Unknown said...

I completely agree. I think it goes beyond just the companies, but the people that shop there. I love Trader Joe's and have never been treated poorly by their staff. But the other people that shop there seem to be the hoitiest elitists I've ever seen. I've never been treated so rudely by other customers! I was also leaving Hooprama one night and asked a girl waiting what class was coming up. She said, "Oh, it's a club, not a class." When I asked what kind of club she says, "Oh, we do things." Like I wanted to be in your stupid club. Obviously you're only cool these days if you wear legwarmers and scarves with shorts and tshirts.
Kim W.