Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring Break

This week is spring break! No, I'm not going to Florida, and I don't plan to show up on any MTV program with bikini clad co-eds dancing on the beach, while taking their turn at the beer bong. Instead I am working all day without having to leave for class; enjoying the simple pleasure of sitting on the couch, flipping channels without the thought of everything I have to do weighing over me (though that only stops me from flipping channels about 45% of the time).

Call me crazy, but I'm still working on some school projects to get a head start on next week. I have a couple papers due in the next month for my online Sociology courses, and I've started reading "The Merchant of Venice" for Shakespeare class. This might seem odd to many of my classmates, most of which were planning to go out of town for Spring Break. It would have been downright ridiculous (or, ridicurous for you Seinfeld fans) to an 18-year-old Lois, though I suppose no more ridiculous than school itself. I don't know if I'd call myself a nerd, exactly, but the apathy I felt this time last week has morphed into something else--boredom.

I am actually missing school! I miss discussions about 17th century England, and about how Shakespeare identifies gender and social status in his plays. I even miss reading the poorly composed and absurdly thought-out postings made in my online classroom by my virtual classmates. Imagine!

You can bet that this time next week I will feel entirely different--I will be whining about my next journal due in British Lit, and writer's block, and I'm sure work will suddenly become ten times busier. For now, though, I will enjoy my time off and the all-too temporary feeling that being in school isn't half bad.

4 comments:

toomuchcountry said...

Nothing says par-tay like Shakespeare!

Lois and Jon said...

I KNOW, right?? :)

Anonymous said...

do you mean I can't urge you to read FOREVER AMBER for an entire week?...a great restoration novel that I LOVED forty years ago!

Lois and Jon said...

Mom, why don't you let me borrow it to read while I'm home this summer?